Thursday, March 14, 2013

One Week Home

We have been home for a week now and things are going really well.  Both girls are more comfortable, happy, excited to go out, and starting to interact more with their brothers.  Esther is really trying to learn English - she is repeating what we are saying and she has even formed a few sentences in the last couple days.  Pearl has gotten pretty comfortable with Esther being her translator but I'm sure soon enough she'll start doing it too.

Yesterday evening everyone got out their bicycles and the girls were so impressed.  We realized that we hadn't gotten them their own bikes yet and headed out and picked a couple up.  They were so pleased with them.  Pearl is riding hers around everywhere but since we couldn't get training wheels on Esther's and we don't have a lot of open flat road we're going to have to take Esther over to the church parking lot to learn how to ride.

Today we visited Andrew's school to watch a performance he was in.  The girls loved it and clapped and cheered and took a million pictures.  Pearl waved to Andrew up on stage nearly the entire time.  I asked Esther if this school was like her school in China and she furrowed her brow, shook her head, and said no in a way that made me think she was thinking, "Are you crazy - no way!"   What a blessing it is to bring the girls to this wonderful country and teach them about liberty, opportunity, and the pursuit of happiness.

Truly, we feel so blessed.  I feel like I can actually feel my heart growing.   When you are in the adoption process your heart opens up and you feel so much love for the girls(or boys) you see in the photos but the love you need when they get home is different and takes time to blossom.  Everyone told me that it might feel awkward and strange with the kids at first - which it did - but our love for them grows.  Day by day we feel more and more like their true parents.  Just today Esther and I were having a conversation via google translate and I told her that while I could never be her biological mom that I wanted to be her real mom - forever.  She looked me in the eyes for a long time and asked, "You sure?"  My heart filled with so much love and I replied, "Absolutely."

Pearl is still trying to figure out the family dynamic and sharing her parents love and attention with others. You would think coming from an orphanage that she would understand it but she doesn't.  Orphanage life isn't like living in one big family.  Families take turns with affection and attention but they will always love you - they will always be there.   Mom and Dad can love all of their children equally - forever.  She'll pick it up.

2 comments:

  1. I love these insights! Thanks for sharing the feelings of your heart so candidly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad things are going well. Our little ones that have been home for a year and a half are still trying to figure out sharing mom's love. It breaks my heart for them. I hope and pray they will one day feel completely secure in our love.

    You are doing a great job!!

    ReplyDelete